Becoming the first Filipino to travel around the world at the age of 77

How did a 77-year-old become the first Filipino to travel the world?

At the age of 77, Odette Aquitania Ricasa became the first Filipino to visit all 195 countries in the world, 193 of which are recognized by the United Nations, and the other members the other two are non-members: the Holy Sea and the State of Palestine.

Before the pandemic started in 2020, he was only five countries away from achieving his goal. These countries are Sudan, Chad, Central African Republic, Libya, and Iraq.

Becoming the first Filipino to travel around the world at the age of 77
Mrs. Ricasa when he arrived in Iraq. Photo from his Facebook account.

Finally, on August 25, 2022, after being treated for two years due to cancer, Ms. Ricasa has achieved the goal of many travelers – to travel to every country in the world! He arrived in Kurdistan, Iraq, on Friday, making it the last country on his list.

In total, he visited 301 countries and territories, including islands! Those islands that are not seen by the public include Robinson Crusoe Islands, Lakshadweep Islands, Andaman Nicobar Islands, and many more!

Other articles you should read:

How it started

Mrs. Ricasa is based in Los Angeles, California and began traveling the world in the 1980s. He has reported that some countries, including Russia, have strict laws regarding tourism in those countries. time. However, that didn’t stop him from exploring more lands.

Unforgettable travel experiences

Mrs. Ricasa has two passports – the Philippines and the US. He mostly uses his US Passport, but he said in some cases, it’s better to use his Philippine passport.

Some of these cases are going to Africa. US and Philippine passport holders need a visa to enter this country, but using a US passport requires more documentation than using a US passport. Philippines.

When asked what were some of his most memorable experiences in his 40 years of travel, he said there were many, but his visits to Sierra Leone and the Democratic Republic of Congo were unforgettable. two African countries. The countries mentioned are not popular destinations for travelers, he visited, that’s all. But as the saying goes, ‘You have to do what you think you can’t do.’ And he did; he conquered Africa and the rest of the world!

He also said that when they arrived in Libya this year, they thought they were VIPs because there was a lot of security escorting them. But it was this unique experience that inspired him to travel further.

Becoming the first Filipino to travel around the world at the age of 77

During his four years of travel, 80% of them were solo trips, and the remaining 20% ​​were group trips (which he joined when he started in the travel world)— talk about courage, passion, and enthusiasm!

New Activities

Mrs. Ricasa is a travel expert as he is a member of the Travelers’ Century Association, an association that only accepts people who have traveled to 100 or more countries!

Becoming the first Filipino to travel around the world at the age of 77
Philippine Global Explorers meet in Kaiserslautern, Germany.

In addition, he is an active member of the travel group Philippine Global Explorers, and he heads the US West Coast chapter, doing this while traveling.

Aside from being the first Filipino to travel the world, he is an author of 6 books, an artist, a speaker, and a pianist.

He said that getting his book was not his intention. It’s early 2000, and he’s in Spain writing about his travels in his journal – “With all the countries and cities I’ve been to, I can’t remember them , so I write them in my notebook.” , Ms. Ricasa.

His best friend said to him at the time, “Why don’t you write a book?” That comment gave him the idea to write a travel book and share his experiences on the road. His books are available on Amazon.

Mrs. Odette Aquitania Ricasa’s travel experience is one of the inspirations of many travelers, not only Filipinos, but foreigners as well.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.