(CNN) – The open space on North Carolina’s Outer Banks has earned a top spot on the annual list of America’s best beaches.
Ocracoke Island’s Lifeguarded Beach is No. 1 beach for 2022, according to beach scientist Stephen Leatherman, known as “Dr. Beach.”
Leatherman, a professor and director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University, has selected America’s best beaches since 1991.
Ocracoke can be accessed by private plane or boat and ferry service, which accommodates cars and RVs.
It has some of the wildest beaches in the country, according to Leatherman. He said families with children might want to visit before the summer, even though summer is a big wave.
“Don’t think of playing golf or staying at the Ritz; swimming and the beach is a great adventure and exploration of the historic city,” Leatherman said, describing the beach in his annual list. .
What’s Not to Be Recorded? Golf clubs and high heels, visit Ocracoke. “This is an island, but it’s not a vacation spot,” his website said. Walking to dinner is encouraged – even for Ocracoke’s top restaurants.
Beach accommodation is limited to one National Park Service campsite, so most visitors live in the village within miles of the beach.
More American beaches
Outer Banks Beach, Lighthouse Beach in Buxton on Hatteras Island is No. 6 this year. This beach is the site of Cape Hatteras’ oldest lighthouse, which moved about 3,000 feet inland in 1999.
Beaches in California, South Carolina and Massachusetts account for the second half of the series.
Here is the full list of Top 10:
The list of the 10 best beaches for 2022
1. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
2. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin / Clearwater, Florida
3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
4. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
5. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
6. Kahakai Lighthouse, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
7. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
8. Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Beach Guard, Cape Cod, Massachusetts